On twitter, I am not to familiar with lists but I am with retweets trends. Pound signs are used to indicate a trend. This is a way of grouping tweets on topics, similar stories, and stuff that people can relate to. I use them to let people know sort of the "subject" of what I am tweeting about. I haven't retweeted anything but people I know sometimes retweet celebrities' tweets for example because it is a funny tweet.
Facebook has been not only my go to procrastination tool, but a way to stay connected to my friends. It is always active with people posting all the time. It is essentially a complete profile of a person. I have had a profile since freshman year so a lot of information about me is on there. I only let my friends see what is on my profile and I mean everything. Facebook is good with privacy you just have to know how to use it. As for posts that may or may not hurt a job opportunity, I do not think after going through my profile that I have posts that would affect anything. For the most part it is comments with my brother and wall posts by my girlfriend. I am safe for now...I hope.
There are many organizations in my career field that use twitter and facebook. I "Like" my organization's facebook and can see how the organization operates, and what goes on in it. My organization does not use twitter but I follow another pharmacy page that is helpful in learning about he field.
I agree exactly about your comparison of blogging and tweeting. Blogging is more of a story because you can write more, but since twitter has a character limit its more of just a text. Facebook is such a procrastination tool! It's soo addicting and so awful! I use that and hanging out with friends as a procrastination tool, you're not alone!
ReplyDeleteI also agree with the twitter and blogging comparison. All my friends who use twitter only use their smartphone to tweet and never through a computer. If your are on a computer you might as well blog. There is a blogger app on the smartphone though that allows you to blog. I have blog set up so I can text a message to a number and it posts it on my blog for free. But who has the time to write a story/blog while on a walk? But you still want to tell people what just happened in short, so you send a little tweet! I spend more hours on Facebook than I should, def a procrastinating tool, it's addicting to see what your friends and random people are doing, kinda creepy to think about, but that is basically what we are doing when we are on Facebook.
ReplyDeleteGreat analogy for Twitter, that is how I go about using it. I think Facebook does a decent job with privacy, but in certain ways I wish there were more. I never thought of looking up pages of Psychology on Facebook, but I am going to have to now! Thanks : )
ReplyDeletehaha I like how you said facebook is your "go to procrastination tool." I completely agree and use it for the same purpose. It's hard not to once you get used to it. The example you used for twitter vs blogging is pretty spot on too, nice analogy.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you and Cara that "tweeting" is just a short and sweet thing where writing a blog is more or your personal thoughts that you can say in however many words you want. I'm looking forward to see how much Twitter will add to my procrastination habits :)
ReplyDelete